Tuesday 19 November 2013

Masala Poori



Poori and me have some funny connection. When I was in school, I was made fun of my last name Chepuri, which in telugu may also mean jhaado!! So to stop them from troubling me, I told them my last name means "che" 6 puris :) hehee

Also, I am super accident prone, so at home I was not usually allowed to make anything that has to be deep fried.. so only after marraige I started making all these fried bites specially for my husband. 

Today I made spicy masala pooris for breakfast and they turned out pretty well. These puris can be served for breakfast, mealtime or as a tea-time snack. As a variant, you can make crispy puris by pricking them and then frying on a medium flame and can stock these in jars.

Ingredients:

Wheat flour 2 cups
Gram flour 1 cup
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Green chillies paste 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2tsp
Jeera powder 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves and Coriander fistful
Oil to fry

Method:

Take both flours in a large bowl and mix salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, gg paste. Finely chop curry leaves, coriander and green chillies paste and mix them with the flour, now add water little by little and knead to form a soft and smooth dough, the dough should neither be too sticky nor too firm.

Cover the dough with a wet cloth and leave it for 15 minutes. Alternatively, heat oil in a kadai to fry the pooris.

Divide the dough into small equal balls. and roll out small pooris. Remember to not make them very thin, they can turn crispy. Carefully cook on both sides till you get the desired golden colour.

Serve hot with any chutney or also raita.

4 comments: